You want to read about the presidential campaign? Wow, you are sooooo March! Get with the program; we’re busy vetting VP lists. I just bought a tranche of Julián Castro futures and I’m thinking of hedging with some Corey Booker swaps.
- An anti-Federal government wing, that rails against out-of-touch Washington bureaucrats who get nothing done.
- A socially conservative and philosophically doctrinaire wing that places enormous importance on Christian faith and conservative ideological purity.
- A “moderate” republican; the economically conservative but socially centrist element that now exists largely so Republicans have a chance of competing in Blue States.
- The largest of the three flavors of the Republican Party was the first: the broad disgust with the Federal Government. He set his sights on the most people; the biggest slice of the pie.
- He then figured out what was most important to them: that these people not only felt that Washington lifers were out of touch, but that their ineptitude had actually been destructive to their lives. Washington has lost jobs to China, Washington has allowed illegal immigrants to steal jobs, Washington has allowed foreigners to terrorize us, Washington took us to stupid wars in the Middle East.
- He told this group of Republicans that he would be better at solving their problems than anyone else. He’d build a wall. Renegotiate “stupid” trade deals. Ban Muslims. He told the world that the sainted Bush family had soiled America with its horribly conceived war in Iraq.